Monday, January 5, 2009

Live the Golden Rule


It's been a while, sick kids, Holidays, you know how it is! But I haven't stopped following events at home a abroad.

Which brings me to The Golden Rule. We all learned it as kids and it just never stops being meaningful. All major world religions have their own version. Norman Rockwell created the MOST beautiful painting on the topic. But as adults I think its often a lost philosophy. It's so easy to get into a cycle of self-protection that the perspective of others is lost...and sometimes intentionally.

Take recent actions of our benevolent House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi. According the Connie Hair at Human Events, "... Pelosi plans to re-write House rules today to ensure that the Republican minority is unable to have any influence on legislation...Pelosi’s rule changes -- which may be voted on today -- will reverse the fairness rules that were written around Newt Gingrich’s 'Contract with America.'"
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30143

I guess only House Democrats are supposed to be heard. So much for Democrats being the party in inclusion and tolerance. But we know this is just one in a long, long laundry list of inconsistencies, hypocrisies, and down-right injustices handed out by Dem party leadership. We know that the "Fairness Doctrine" is on it's way soon as well. I doubt most average-Joe Liberals leading their normal lives would be very proud of Pelosi's iron-fisted move.

I think most folks who TRULY live by the Gold Rule are actually Conservatives, whether they realize it or not. Tolerance, live-and-let-live, love thy neighbor (or at least leave him alone!), these are all underlying principals of Conservativism. Everyone has a right to live their own lives according to their own faith, dreams and goals. I'll respect your rights as long as you respect mine.

With all the turmoil in the Middle East and battling in Washington, I know The Golden Rule might seem like a simple, idealistic topic. But we have to stick to our roots. We can't let "them" distract us from what we are.

I have a new design for the occasion...which will make most Libs say, "Huh?" Which is the whole point. Live the Golden Rule

7 comments:

Clay Bowler said...

My dislike for Democrats is growing to hate, and I know that's not very Golden Rulish. Is it?

Mel said...

All this makes for great blog material but a scary future

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

I just found you via Smartgirl Politics.

I am so sickened by 'that woman'; I just don't even know what to say. The irony of it all though is when we get control of congress back (and we WILL), we'll bring back Newt's rules because like you said, that is how conservatives are.

Great blog :)

SGP said...

Sarah, Great article. Do you mind if I post it out on twitter? You should cross post on the ning site as well. Your writing is great!

Andrew said...

I think your comment about conservatives being the ones living the golden rule, begs the ever elusive question of what is a conservative. I would say that your examples of conservative ideals are good ones, but how does the conservative movement treat gays? Why does the conservative movement work to shape government to further the interests of the wealthy over that of the poor?

You may have excellent answers to these questions that would justify your statement, but I think that non-conservatives (e.g. moderates and liberals) adopt different approaches to enacting the Golden Rule. I would say that they succeed on many fronts and fall short in their own particular ways just as conservatives do.

5mil said...

Okay so you want me to steal millions of dollars from the general public for endless wars and $8000 nails? Because thats what politicians do (not just conservatives but they are the worst)

5mil said...

And by the way, most conservatives do NOT live the golden rule because if we did to them what they do to us, we'd be in JAIL!