Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Standing by International Criminal in his Fight Against ACTA

Accused copyright pirate, Kim Dotcom, has launched a song and video urging Americans to NOT vote for Obama this fall...that the aggressive support of ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, makes the President a parasite of Free Speech. And he's 100% correct.

So far reaching that Doctors Without Borders oppose ACTA because it will make medicine more difficult to import. Even access to food and seed stock will be impacted.

And I'm no novice to Intellectual Property. As an artist, I've spent many years working with licencing and copyright. I've had my work 'borrowed' without credit. WE ALREADY HAVE LAWS TO DEAL WITH THIS. The last thing we need is broad, vague, secrative powers on an international level. Thanks to a start from Bush, and Obama's unwaivery support, America is now a co-signer.

We all know this is REALLY about stopping the ability of people like you and me from sharing news stories and videos at will...of making what I'm doing right here, blogging (and Tweeting and Facebook Sharing) crimes. International crimes.

So I stand with Mr. Dotcom on this one, Occupyers and all (gasp). Song is a bit of an earworm, but can't beat the message.

As he says, "If you can't blog - tweet. If you can't tweet - like. But by all means - keep sharing."

1 comment:

Doo Doo Econ said...

I have noticed a large upswing of concern in regard to sharing information. Recently I was contacted about a screenshot of a website as a company claimed that I needed to pay $900 because that website had one of their images on it. Obviously a fair use situation, but the over-regulation of information has far reaching consequences.

This is another avenue to stiffle the new media.